This week started by seeing some great results – in the space of a week, we have gone from having one or two carrots growing to masses of them. Both seeds are germinating well. There has also been some good growth – the sunflowers have grown 3cm in a week, the chillies have grown 1.5cm in four days.
Results in the second week show that the seeds planted in the sure-start compost have been quicker to germinate and develop.
I have planted some tomatoes this week, three varieties – Gardeners Delight, Big Boy and Shirley. I have chosen these varieties because each one has slightly different care requirements. Each one also produces different sized fruit and quantity. I have planted these in a grow bag.
Now that a lot of the fruit and veg are in, I have started on my plug plants – 20 Mixed Petunias and 20 Mixed Lobelia. I will use these later on in displays around the site.
As things are growing I am also thinking of where they should be positioned as later on I will be growing a cucumber and melon as these get very large. I have to consider where they go as to not affect anything else.
The seeds I planted in the John Innes compost were showing signs of germination only a day later but they are not developing as fast as those planted in the sure-start compost.
Monday 21th March
- Prepared planters for vegetables out front of greenhouse.
- Planted Carrot seeds, using normal Unwins range and also using Unwins Gro-Sure range as I want to see the difference in the results.
- Planted on plug plants – 20 Mixed Petunias and 20 Mixed Lobelia.
Tuesday 22nd March
- Moved the greenhouse around to maximise the amount of space and light the plants have to grow in.
Wednesday 23rd March
- Planted three Tomato plants – Gardeners Delight, Big Boy and Shirley.
- First signs of carrot seeds starting to germinate (both types).
- First signs of chillies starting to grow.
- Temperature in greenhouse reached 35 degrees.
- Sunflowers grown 1 inch.
Thursday 24th March
- Second chilli germinated overnight.
Friday 25th March
- First signs of Asparagus Pea germinating in the sure-start compost.
Saturday 26th March
- First signs of Asparagus Pea germinating in the John Innes No.1 compost.
- First signs of Cape Gooseberry germinating in the sure-start compost.
Sunday 27th March
- Brussels Sprouts have started to germinate – three plants.
Let’s see what next week brings…